A tidy desk is a tidy mind.
This is true – there is scientific evidence!
Scientist have found that people who work in chaotic surroundings find it hard to focus as the clutter can confuse the mind.
If you’re one of these people, and you don’t know where to start, I’ve put together a handy guide to organising your workspace…
Step 1 – Declutter
- Take a look at your workspace – what can you get rid of? Remove any unnecessary furniture, gather similar documents and place them in a folder, invest in an office waste bin (remember to recycle what you can!) and get some storage boxes.
- Give everything a place – Although I try to be as digital as I can, I still couldn’t live without trays, folders and a desk tidy. Everything should have a place so you can find it easily when you need to.
- Minimise personal items – These only serve as a distraction. Keep it work-related and you’ll be more focused on the job at hand.
- Go digital – The more ‘digital’ you can be the better. There are plenty of free organisation tools available (Trello is one of my favourites!). You can store documents using a tool like Google Drive or Dropbox) and keep on top of appointments using Google Meeting Scheduler or, if you use Microsoft, use Teams to organise your company workload.
- Keep on top of it! At the end of each working day, put everything in its ‘place’ – when you go back to your workspace in the morning you’ll have clear mind ready to take on the day!
Step 2 – Motivation and Inspiration
So, you’ve tidied up your workspace…now what?
You need some inspiration and motivation to get you through those challenging tasks…
- Inspirational quotes – Stick some inspirational quotes on the wall for those times when you feel like you just can’t complete the task at hand. You don’t even need to buy them, just Google ‘inspirational quote’, find something that speaks to you, print it out & stick it on your wall!
- Feng shui – Whether you believe in it or not, surely it is worth a go? Don’t place your desk so that your back is to the door as this will distract you but do place a plant on your desk – this can apparently improve productivity by 15%!
- Light – Whatever your office space, making it light and bright is an instant mood-lifter.
Step 3 – Organise your desktop
Your office is now a clutter-free haven of calm and focus, but you turn on your computer and yet more chaos awaits!
It’s time to sort this out…
- Clear out unwanted files – Create folders (with names that mean something) and place all of those files in to the appropriate folder. It’ll make things easier to find when you need them in a hurry.
- Sort out your inbox – I have seen so many business owners with 100s, sometimes 1000s of unread emails and it gives me palpitations. Create folders within your inbox and either set up rules or drag emails in to those folders as soon as your receive them. You’ll quickly realise which emails you need to read and which can be saved until later on.
- Declutter your bookmarks – Periodically check your bookmarks and delete any that you no longer need. This will make it so much easier to find what you need in a hurry.
Do you have any more tips? How do you keep organised at work?