Are you a procrastinator?
The first step to overcoming procrastination is to recognise that you’re procrastinating.
It ISN’T the same as being lazy.
If you fill your day with unimportant tasks, take lots of breaks from important tasks or wait for the ‘right time’ to complete a task, you’re probably procrastinating!
So, why are you procrastinating?
Are you unsure how to tackle a particular task?
Are you worried about failing?
Stress, anxiety and depression can often cause procrastination so if you think this could be the cause, make sure you go and seek professional help.
Here are my top tips for fighting procrastination:
- Remove distractions – turn off the TV, social media, the radio…whatever it is that is distracting you. You’ll be amazed at how much more you get done!
- Treat yourself with a reward for completing important tasks promptly.
- Break down bigger tasks into smaller chunks and add a timeframe to complete them.
- Find the best time of day for you – maybe you work better first thing in the morning? If so, get up early and crack on! Perhaps you work better when you’ve had a lie in and work later into the evening. Do what works best for you if you can.
- Get accountable! Ask someone to check up on you – business Facebook groups are great for this as you don’t want to look like a failure to other people.
For me, making a list the night before of all the tasks I need to complete the following day is key to a productive day! What do you do to avoid procrastinating? Let me know in the comments.