It’s a new year if you’re thinking….THIS is the year I’m going to smash my social media….then I have THREE social media trends you can jump on RIGHT NOW to get ahead in the game!
Obviously, there are many more social media trends than this, but these are three biggies which are relatively easy to incorporate into your 2022 social media strategy.
These trends are:
- Video content
- Creator led commerce
Now, let’s look at each of these in a little more detail…
It’s no secret that social media is becoming more and more community-oriented. Gone are the days of just scrolling through your feed to check out what your old school friends are up to.
These days, every other post invites you to give your opinion or get involved in a discussion.
Even Twitter has started testing its very own Communities feature!
So, how can this help you as a business owner?
Well, you can use social media to learn more about what your customers want and need so you can deliver exactly that.
There are soooo many ways to do this…
- Using polls in your Facebook and Instagram stories;
- Creating polls in your Facebook group;
- Inviting your group members or followers to give their opinion on certain topics which can work to your advantage – e.g. ask your audience what their biggest struggle with ‘XYZ’ is based around solutions you can offer – when they respond, you’ve got ready-made ‘hot’ leads! Just don’t go DM-ing. No one wants this and it doesn’t work.
According to Hootsuite and We Are Social’s Digital 2021 report, social networks like Facebook and Instagram are now the second most important channel for online brand research after search engines.
A recent Nielsen survey commissioned by Facebook stated that 64% of people said they now prefer to message rather than call a business so make use of auto responders and FAQs in direct messaging.
If you don’t already have one, I’d really recommend creating a Facebook group for your business. Use your Facebook page as your ‘shop window’ and use your group to build your own little community where you’re the expert.
If someone joins your Group, it’s because they WANT to hear from you!
Clearly, the rise of social buying due to the pandemic isn’t slowing down any time soon so take advantage of this. Make it easy for your followers to research you and, more importantly, BUY from you through your socials.
If you’re an introvert like me, video content is terrifying. But, it isn’t going anywhere.
In fact, it is predicted that video content is only going to become more and more of a necessity for small businesses to include in their social media strategies.
What do social media users want? They want entertaining, quick, new video content!
As a small business owner myself, I know we can’t spend all day coming up with new video content. So don’t. Start with the basics:
- Let your audience know what you’re up to in your Stories – What does your day look like? What are your upcoming business plans? Share something funny that has happened that day, or share a product or business you’ve been really happy with!
- Link your Facebook business page to a Facebook group to build up your audience
- Use Live Audio Rooms to connect with your audience on a more intimate level
- Connect with your audience in real time using Facebook Live
- If you do paid advertising, try using your video content in your ads – word has it that ad performance is more effective with video.
Instagram is really going to be pushing video in 2022 by merging feed videos, Reels, and Stories.
They’re actually currently testing a vertical Instagram Stories feed and will soon be introducing engagement-driving stickers like the Question sticker for Reels.
Sounds fancy eh? This is basically when influencers get paid to promote brands and we as consumers buy after seeing our favourite influencers convince us it is the right thing to do.
In 2022, Instagram is going to be offering influencers (now known as creators) even more incentives due to a huge rise in creator-led commerce.
Businesses are starting to invest heavily in influencer marketing due to the increase in social media users turning to social networks to research brands, rather than using search engines.
Sounds expensive, right? Well, the good news for small business owners is that working with niche influencers can get more engagement and costs less!
The key thing is to find the right person to share your products and services who will connect with your target audience.
Get this right and you’ll be on to a winner.
So, there you have it. Three social media trends you can start to implement in 2022 to grow your social media presence and boost sales!
What social platforms do you find to be the most effective for reaching your business goals?